Chips, Cheese and Sometimes Marshmallows

Life with 2q23.1 microdeletion syndrome (chromosome 2)

Chips, Cheese & Sometimes Marshmallows? What? Let me explain, if anyone knows my daughter Asia this completely makes sense:) Not only do we have many medical issues but, food issues are one of our major daily obstacles. You'll see...

Asia's List of Symptoms (2q23.1)

Whether or not all of Asia's Symptoms are related to the 2q23.1 microdeletion is unknown at this time:

At this time her symptoms are: Seizures, Hypotonia (muscle weakness), Development delay, Motor Delay, Language impairment, Non-verbal, Ataxia, Behavioral problems, Sleep disturbances, Short attention span, Repetitive behavior, Aggression, Autistic-like Symptoms, Sensory Processing Disorder (hypo-sensitive), Tongue-tied, Sacral Dimple, Possible Macroglossia (large tongue), Sandal Gap on foot, Constipation, Blepharitis, Hearing loss & Microcephaly.

~This list may be edited with new information~
There are additional symptoms with this rare syndrome that Asia does not have.

Many people contact me to ask what type of testing Asia had to get her diagnoses. Asia had a simple blood test performed which is called a "Cytogenic Microarray". There is a post in the blog that goes over this a little more.

Conact Info and Support Group

2q23.1 Microdeletion Syndrome has a great support group on Facebook. It is a closed group where parents can discuss their questions/concerns about their children with 2q. When logged into FB just search 2q23.1 Microdeletion Syndrome and find the closed group and "join". Also, please feel free to email me with any questions at seasonatwater@gmail.com

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Upper Cervical Chiropractic/Guest Post!

Last year I had members of my extended family going in for treatments to a Upper Cervical Chiropractor. I kept hearing about the amazing results they were seeing in their physical well-being. I am not a huge fan of going into a typical "Chiropractor" who pops and cracks your spine so I never really had a desire. I kept hearing that I should go in and I should bring Asia in with me because she (the Dr.) loves helping children. Well needless to say I finally did and brought Asia as well. My husband brought Asia in the first time. She has been in for appointments about 4 times now over the last several months. It may be that Asia has had a good few months or...that this has really been doing something for her health. I haven't been noticing Seizures, fairly good mood and she has been eating really well. So what is it, right? This is a specialty within the Chiropractic profession. It has it's own special and very gentle techniques. It's purpose is to reposition the weight of the head over the center of the neck to remove brain stem compression and restore body balance. This re-positioning reactivates the transmission of healing messages from the brain to the affected part of the body so the body's natural healing process can begin. The imbalance can cause stress, tension and pressure around the brain stem. With Asia's seizures I thought that this could really help. The Dr. analyzes how far the atlas bone has shifted, tilted or rotated from it's normal position. Then with a very gentle adjustment behind the ear the Dr. corrects this imbalance. You would never even guess that she was doing anything at all!

When we first went in, the Dr. had us stand on a some scales to see if our body was imbalanced. When the atlas is misaligned it can cause a imbalance in your body, a raised hip, a short leg and one side of your body weighing more then the other. This was true with Asia and myself. I don't remember the exact amounts on Asia but for myself, one side of my body weighed 10 pounds more then the other! My husband had a 27 pound difference. As of my appointment Monday I am "balanced":) I can tell you also that I can really tell, I feel balanced.


When working with Asia, on her first Visit the Dr. massaged one side of her head, the next visit was the opposite side and then on the 3rd visit she worked both sides a little. This was not to overload Asia.


 

Body imbalance can cause such conditions as Seizures, development problems, digestive problems, migraines, allergies, ear infections, acid reflux, ADD, fevers and more.

About The Doctor and Her Post:

Hello to every child, brother, sister, mom and dad out there.  Yes, I do take care of the whole family and love it.  Since my mission is to help as many people as possible in my lifetime...especially children that would include the whole family.  I want to be real here and tell you how awesome it is to help the children in our lives.  They are the ones that are making a change in the next generation and I would love the idea of those babies and children being effected by me and my passion to help their bodies prevent problems in their lives.

If you ever see me in the store, church or out and about please don't hesitate to talk to me.  I am human just like you and want to answer any questions you may have.

I have two beautiful naturally birthed, unvaccinated, curious, intelligent teenage boys with the trials and tribulations as your teens do.  They are the light of my life and support me in everything I do and vice versa.

I have been married for 13 years to my soul mate Jeff and love riding with him on the Harley! (Yes, a Harley girl).

Thank you for reading about me and please don't hesitate to call.

My Mission is to help as many people in my lifetime as I can – especially children

Being an Upper Cervical Chiropractor my main focus is what is that brain stem going through.  What kind of pressure is being put on it, how is it functioning being surrounded by the first bone in the neck called Atlas or C1.
With all the traumas and injuries that we sustain in life, those injuries will break loose the connective tissue that holds us very strong and upright.  When we receive those traumas the first area to break down is the Atlas area, just because it is unlike any other bone in the body, and it is protecting that brain stem.
All babies, and children have spines just like adults, and as we are all coming through the birth canal  as well as being delivered, it is very traumatic and can disrupt the alignment of that first bone (Atlas).  
Any pressure upon that brain stem will disrupt the communication from the brain to the body.  It is like a computer central command center.  Symptoms that might evolve due to this disruption is: Seizures, Torticollis, Ear Infections, Sinus Infections, Colic, Acid Reflux, Trouble Latching during Breastfeeding, constipation, Diarrhea and many others.

I use a gentle adjustment with no popping, twisting or pulling on the neck.  Moms can be worry free when their child is getting their spine in alignment!

--
Dr. Ashleigh Stockwell Street
239 W. 520 N. 
Orem, UT 84057
801-224-1121

For more information here are a couple of links. Thanks Ashleigh!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment